Outside the WFIL Building
46th and Market Streets
This 1958 photo shows the kids lining up outside the WFIL Building at 46th and Market Streets in West Philadelphia shortly before the start of "Bandstand." Remember that when the program went on the network (ABC-TV) in 1957, it changed its named from "Bandstand" to "American Bandstand." However, ABC aired only part of the 150-minute daily broadcast. Even after going on the network, WFIL-TV, Channel 6 continued to call the non-network portions of the show "Bandstand." Only the network segment was entitled "American Bandstand." The shot was taken from under the El platform on Market Street.
From the official archives of the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia
Photo donated by Broadcast Pioneers member Neil Harvey
© 2005, All Rights Reserved
The e-mail address of the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia is email@example.com