(Left to right) Samuel Barbour & W. Laurence LePage
This picture was taken before WHYY-TV, the Delaware Valley's educational television station signed on the air. Samuel Barbour, WHYY's Chief Engineer is seen showing a newly acquired image orthicon studio camera to W. Laurence LePage, Chairman of the Board of the Metropolitan Radio and Television Corporation, parent company of WHYY radio and TV at that time. LePage was also president of the Franklin Institute during the same era. The studios were located at 1622 Chestnut Street in the old WCAU building. WHYY-TV was Channel 35 in the early days and licensed to Philadelphia.
From the official archives of the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia
Photo originally donated by Norm Gagnon & the GGN Information Systems website
© 2005, All Rights Reserved
The e-mail address of the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia is firstname.lastname@example.org